Ah, but there is a reason for that “no.” Many reasons. Here’s a list of things that I’ve learned to say “no” to:
- No painting without my written permission and approval of paint colors.
- No painting without taping the woodwork.
- No paint colors that I can’t paint over with two coats of white (I don’t care how trendy orange is right now).
- No planting perennials without my approval of placement and species.
- No more than 1 cat per unit.
- No dogs. I don’t care how little or cute they are.
- No storage of junk in the back yard.
- No parking of motorcycles in the back yard.
- No chaining up bicycles on the front railing.
- No smoking indoors.
- No replacing light fixtures with ceiling fans (moving parts for me to maintain).
- No replacing light fixtures period, actually.
- No more tenants per unit than what’s stated on the rental license.
- No overnight guests for more than 2 weeks without my written permission.
- No laundry past 11 pm.
- No sewing machine usage, slam dancing, stomping, or other ridiculously loud activities past 11 pm.
- No checking account? No renting from me.
And no, there’s nothing that I can do about your high heat bill when you keep the thermostat set to 80 all winter long, either.